01636 701826

74 Gainsborough Road, Winthorpe, Nr Newark, Nottinghamshire, NG24 2NR

Robert Taylor, born in 1710 was the son of John Taylor, who was the inn keeper of the Turk’s Head in Kirkgate Newark. Robert was educated at the Magnus Grammar School in Newark and Trinity College, Cambridge, where he qualified as a physician and set up a practice in Newark.

At around 1740 Dr Taylor was called out to attend to Lord Burlington who became sick whilst visiting Belvoir Castle. Lord Burlington was so delighted with his treatment and swift recovery that he persuaded the doctor to move to London. From his residence in Hanover Square he prospered eventually becoming a physician to King George II.

Robert Taylor purchased land at Winthorpe and started the building in 1761. In 1762 Robert died, leaving his second wife and daughter with insufficient funds to complete the grandiose building.

Roger Pocklington, the Newark Banker, purchased the building and associated land in 1765 for the sum of £8,000 and completed the building. Winthorpe Hall remained his family seat until he died on October 12th 1810.

Winthorpe Hall has had many owners since Lord Pocklington and it was up for sale when the Second War seemed imminent and was commandeered by the government for use by the army. However it was well looked after and the grounds tended by servicemen.

The Hall was purchased by the present owner (Mr Robert Pountney) in 1987 as an almost derelict building which had been empty for several years. It has now been totally refurbished with an additional wing added in the year 2000.

Footnote: An extensive history of Winthorpe Hall and Winthorpe was written by Miss Kathleen Euston a resident of Winthorpe village. Kathleen, a close & dear friend of the owner, ended her days peacefully at Winthorpe Hall